Muskegon Civic Theatre (MCT) will hold auditions Feb. 16 and 17 for the jukebox musical “Mamma Mia!”
Tryouts for the show that will have four performances, April 30 through May 3, at the Frauenthal Theater will begin at 7 p.m. on the third floor of the Hilt Building portion of the Frauenthal Center, 427 W. Western.
They are by appointment only. To make an appointment, prospective performers should call the MCT office, (231) 722-3852. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For the actual auditions, performers should arrive 20 minutes early, to have a photo taken and to fill out paperwork.
The director, Penelope Notter, will do cold readings from the script.
The choreographer wants all those auditioning to wear comfortable clothing and either dance shoes or shoes that tie, as everyone will be asked to participate in the dance/movement segment.
The music director, Phil DeYoung, is requiring that all people auditioning prepare 16 bars of a Broadway-style musical piece, and provide piano sheet music for an accompanist. There will be no acapella singing or self accompaniment.
The musical’s title is taken from the group’s 1975 chart-topper ” Mamma Mia.” Other ABBA hits in the show included ” Super Trouper,” ” Lay All Your Love on Me,” ” Dancing Queen,” ” Knowing Me, Knowing You,” ” Take a Chance on Me,” ” Thank You for the Music,” ” Money, Money, Money,” ” The Winner Takes It All,” ” Voulez-Vous” and ” SOS.”
Set on a Greek island, the story of “Mamma Mia!” is about Sophie Sheridan, a young woman searching for her birth father. On the eve of her wedding, three men from her mother’s past return to the island they once visited 20 years before. Any one of them could be Sophie’s father.
For the MCT production, performers of all races and ethnicities are being encouraged to audition.
The characters, ages and vocal and physical requirements include:
• Sophie Sheridan: Female, 20-25 (Vocal range F#3-E5) Born and raised on the island.
• Donna Sheridan: Female, 35-50 (Vocal range E3-A5) Sophie’s mother, moves well.
• Sam Carmichael: Male, 35-50 (Vocal range E3-A5) Might be Sophie’s father.
• Bill Austin: Male, 35-50 (Vocal range Bb2-F#4) Might be Sophie’s father.
• Harry Bright: Male, 35-50 (Vocal range C#3-F#4) Might be Sophie’s father.
• Sky: Male, 20-30 (Vocal range Eb3-D5) Sophie’s fiancé, moves well.
• Tanya: Female, 35-50 (Vocal range E3-E5) former Dynamo, strong dancer.
• Rosie: Female, 35-50 (Vocal range E3-D5) former Dynamo, moves well.
• Lisa: Female, 20-25 (Vocal range G3-Db5) Sophie’s friend, moves well, strong dancer.
• Ali: Female, 20-25 (Vocal range G3-D5), Sophie’s friend, moves well, strong dancer.
• Pepper: Male, 20-25 (Vocal range A4-F5) barman at Taverna, strong dancer.
• Eddie: Male, 20-25 helps Sky with water sports, strong dancer.
• Ensemble: All Genders, 18+
Rehearsals will begin March 2, and run from 7-10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.